08 February, 2018

Accomplished : the end of another experience



My immersion period ended last February 6, 2018. They taught me more on technical skills.
On my 10-day immersion, I felt like a real STEM-worker. I had more hands-on roles inside the laboratory. I even had the chance to visit a mining plant, at Agusan del Sur, managed by the owner of the laboratory I was immersed in.

              

I found my work immersion not easy. It's a work mostly for men. I needed to adjust and level with them. I also needed to act boyishly because all the lab personnel were men.

The test was literally hot. The test I'd undergone dealt with fire. They called it firing and it was done in the fire assay furnace. There was also a time I got burned because I lost control of the hand grip of the crucible tong. The hot porcelain glass accidentally fell so I tried to catch it but it was hot. Even my gloves got burned. The scar I got will always remind me of that experience. I don't regret it. It's part of learning.



On my last day, I had my actual performance in copper titration. The test produced a very strong odor and it almost intoxicated me but with the help of God, I survived.

After the test, I accomplished all my reports so that my instructor could rate my performance and give their comments and suggestions on my TRB. The day just ended just like the ordinary days. Nothing special.

I went back to the office to ask for my rating.
The owner checked my reports and asked for a copy of it for their company file and as my legacy to the laboratory. It would help the next batch of apprentices who would choose to work in the laboratory.

I couldn't afford to say goodbye in front of them and leave sentiments because I was afraid that they would just laugh at me; they're a bunch of happy people there. I just gave each one of them a thank you letter to extend my sincerest thanks to them.


2 comments: